The Chief Estimator is responsible for leading a team of estimators in preparing estimates from take-off to final pricing, including preparing bids, soliciting vendors or subcontractors and identifying safe, effective means and methods of project execution while estimating a wide range of small to multimillion-dollar projects.
The Chief Estimator will create a safe and positive work environment for staff, develop, coach and motivate team members to excel in their roles. The Chief Estimator is also responsible for ensuring bidding accuracy through all phases of the bidding process, tracking bidding success and analyzing bid performance to improve system and estimating strategies.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures and systems to improve efficiencies
- Consult with management with regard to general conditions, construction methodology and schedules during the Tender process
- Develop and foster close ties with clients, consultants, trades and suppliers
- Review all final estimate packages to ensure accuracy and completeness, prior to formal quotation/submission
- Create goals and strategies for the Estimating team that align with the strategic plan, including delivering on those goals
- Keep abreast of the marketplace and trends to gain and maintain our competitive advantage, develop effective winning bid strategies
- Coach, mentor and support Estimating team to ensure their development and success
- Maintain an estimating management process focused upon efficient triage and assignment of opportunities.
- Represent the Company at both Company sponsored as well as industry events
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
The following are required:
- Degree or diploma in engineering, construction management, or a related field
- 10+ years of estimating experience, preferably within a deep foundation, helical and driven pile construction company
- 5+ years of experience leading a team
- Experience in client relations
- Experience with field construction operations
The following are considered assets:
- Estimating background in construction in either Oil & Gas, or Power Transmission & Distribution, or Commercial Construction industry
- Engineering Designation (Peng, PGEO, CET)