Responsible for strategic procurement of all steel raw materials utilized in the fabrication of helical and driven piles and light structural fabrications, including HSS, I-beam and W-beam profiles and plate. This role oversees price considerations, quality, availability, reliability and technical support when selecting suppliers, leading negotiation processes and supporting the bidding process to provide the most competitive position for the company. The role is also responsible for overseeing inventory management across Canadian manufacturing facilities including annual audit of all steel raw materials. Development of steel supply chain and subcontract manufacturing or supply alternatives across North America in support of geographic expansion of project execution.
- Negotiate best possible purchase prices, payment terms, quality and service for all materials and subcontract fabrication procured. Establish MSA’s, other contracts or pricing agreements as appropriate.
- Provide pricing and technical support for Sales/Estimating, Engineering and Production for project bidding.
- Procurement and management of project related structural steel fabrications through 3rd party fabricators.
- Fiscal responsibility to work with Finance to manage cashflow.
- Utilize Lean Manufacturing principles to manage materials using the best applicable tools (JIT, Kanban, ERP, VMO).
- ERP champion driving the use of and process improvements within the ERP system amongst internal stakeholder departments.
- Work with Canada-wide manufacturing facilities to proactively manage raw material inventory requirements, leveraging the ERP system to manage.
- Data analysis to optimize demand planning, procurement strategies, pricing, inventory and cashflow.
- Develop relationships and best practices with suppliers to provide highest level of service while minimizing working capital requirements.
- Leverage knowledge of and experience with North American and Off-shore commodity steel supply chain to competitive position for the company.
- Critically evaluate suppliers, source new suppliers and maintain a list of approved vendors.
- Manage cycle counting of physical inventory at all Almita yard locations and oversee annual inventory audit working with Finance team.
- Maintain awareness of regulatory and trade policy changes and industry dynamics impacting both the supply and demand for required materials and provide guidance to internal stakeholders.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
The following are required:
- University degree, certificate or diploma in a related field
- Completion of a Certified Purchasing Professional (CPP) or Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) designation or equivalent
- 5 to 8 years’ purchasing experience within in a manufacturing/fabrication environment
- Experience with negotiating supplier relationships and contracts
- Knowledge of the materials and processes used in the manufacture of structural steel fabrications
- Understands manufacturing processes - inventory, production and scheduling
- Experience with MRP/ERP programs (Visual preferred) and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
The following are considered assets:
- Degree in Engineering, or materials
- Demonstrable North American steel supply chain experience with Off-shore steel supply chain knowledge