The Welder is responsible for set-up, lay-out and tack-up of various precision welds related to the manufacturing of screw piles. It requires the ability to tack up structures to tight tolerance, the ability to weld to exact tolerances and the ability to prepare the final required cosmetic finish with grinders and sanders. This role requires the use of a crane in a safe manner and hoisting and rigging knowledge is necessary. Welders move components and heavy pipe on and off machinery and throughout the facility. Welders read complicated prints and welding specifications in conjunction with Supervisor and Weld Inspector. Operation of various types of equipment such as grinders, saws and drills are also important functions of this role.
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Shift Hours: Training on day shift from 6:50am-3:20pm Monday to Friday for the first week before shifting to a night shift 3:20pm-1:50am Monday to Thursday.
- Works closely with Supervisors, Labourers, Operators and the Weld Inspectors to perform basic welding of milled steel.
- Fits up and welds various components for foundation applications.
- Collaborates with coworkers (labourers and operators) to perform safe and efficient set-up (including adjustments) of work stations, tools, equipment and raw materials.
- Understands various weld form symbols on weld drawings and understand size of fillet required.
- Reads and interprets work orders and produce to specifications, work from drawings.
- Welds on flat or horizontal plane geometry.
- Applies required procedural markings to the product (such as customer order numbers or traceability labelling).
- Understands various edge preps before welding.
- Reads real-time production data and meets productivity targets.
- Takes accountability for workmanship, welds to Almita’s quality standards and addresses deficiencies immediately.
- Follows weld procedures and improves procedures within scope of responsibility which are documented and communicated.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the latest welding industry advancements that could be utilized by Almita.
- Conducts pre-job/pre-task inspections.
- Ensures job specific and safety training is up to date and current as per training policies for all manufacturing employees.
- Works with Leadhands and Managers to reduce waste and reduce costs within the welding process.
The following are required:
- Minimum of 1 year experience in manufacturing of steel components
- Prior work experience in a production or shop environment
- MCAW and FCAW welding experience
- Experienced in operating saws, drills, grinders, pedestal grinder, clamps, crane, hoisting and rigging and various fixtures
- Knowledge of industry-related manufacturing processes
- High school diploma (or equivalent)
- Manufacturing environment
- Exposure to loud noises
- Exposure to extreme temperatures
- Physical elements include bending, twisting, crouching, kneeling, standing for long periods of time, lifting weights up to 50 pounds frequently and in excess of 50 pounds occasionally
- Fast paced with tight deadlines
- Shift work
- Overtime is required to meet operational needs.
- Work schedule may vary
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must be worn at all times
Almita Piling Inc. seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and encourages applications from indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, women, persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+, and persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available, on request, for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process including but not limited to a person with a disability.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent