Are you looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunity to utilize your skills as part of a creative and results focused team? Almita Piling Inc. is looking for a highly motivated, flexible, and adaptable HSE Manager to join our Team. Almita is growing – Grow with us!
The HSE Manager will manage the HSE department to develop, administer and implement company-wide HSE programs. Responsibilities include training employees in safety management best practices, assisting with hazard assessment and control, leading and/or participating in incident investigations and root cause analysis, developing safe work procedures (SWP’s), and providing day to day HSE guidance and advice. In addition, this role provides field support for the safety requirements of significant projects, manufacturing facilities and office environment. Provides support for bid pre-qualification and assessment of HSE requirements with Sales/Estimating.
Work Environment: Office
Location: Edmonton, AB
- Direct Almita’s company-wide HSE Program to ensure that all departments have the ability to properly implement and maintain Almita’s safety culture.
- Take full authority for any action to maintain safe practices and procedures, including the authority to cease any unsafe operating activities, ensuring employees’ health and safety, and protecting the Company’s interests.
- Develop an annual safety management plan (operating plan) that aligns with the Corporate Strategic priorities for the year.
- Develop the annual HSE departmental budget and manage within that budget during the year.
- Review and investigate all workplace incident / injury reports, corrective actions and ensure compliance for incident reporting to governing bodies.
- Identify trends and the need for new or modified SWP’s, procedures or programs. Identify and implement corrective actions as required.
- Develop and maintain HSE performance data tracking and reporting related to training, certifications, incidents, WCB, near misses, and other safety metrics.
- Support Business Development, Sales and Project Management with RFPs, RFQs, pre-qualifications and contracts with HSE documentation and resource plans/costs.
- Manage HSE related areas of pre-qualification websites such as ISNetworld, CanQual, ComplyWorks and PICS.
- Communicate safety issues with HR, senior management, government agencies, medical representatives, insurance representatives and any other parties as needed.
- Provide advice and counsel to management and other employee groups on a broad range of HSE issues and decisions.
- Engage Client counterparts to manage the HSE needs for specific projects and exceed client expectations while managing Almita’s best interests
- Work with internal & external stakeholders to provide training, leadership, mentorship, organizational systems & controls to meet Almita’s goal of zero incidents.
- Partner with internal and external trainers and HR to research, organize and conduct training programs to ensure training meets COR requirements, internal technical skills requirements and best practices within HSE.
- Research, organization and delivery of safety-related training programs for new hires, existing staff and new field sites.
- Coach and develop employees within the department to ensure performance and adherence to company policies and processes.
- Maintain COR certification by monitoring internal compliance, periodically performing audits on company practices and managing the external audit process.
- Ensure safety policies and procedures comply with industry, provincial and federal legislation.
- Work with HR and department Managers to co-manage disability cases, modified work and return-to-work plans for occupational and non-occupational injury and illness.
- Liaise with WCB and insurance providers on all claims, including appeals
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years’ experience in HSE in an industrial &/or construction role in a fast paced environment with site related experience
- 5+ years’ experience in HSE leadership
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health & Safety and WCB legislation
- Demonstrated success using a consultative approach in HSE awareness and training
- Advanced Microsoft Office Skills (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio)
- Budgeting and financial management skills
- Diploma or degree in Health and Safety, or equivalent experience
- NCSO and/or CRSP Designation
- COR Auditor Certification