The Director, Operations is responsible for providing leadership, strategy, and direction for the Eastern Canada region, resulting in safe execution, successful revenue generation, gross margin delivery, and achievement of Almita’s vision and brand promise in the region.
The Director, Operations:
- works closely with executive leadership to develop strategic plans and set targets for the region,
- spearheads the region’s sales, estimating, and engineering teams to attain budget targets and build long-term relationships with owners, general contractors, and other customers,
- leads the project delivery teams to ensure safe and successful project execution in line with Almita’s values, from project start-up through to installation and handover,
- collaborates with Almita’s manufacturing and corporate departments to ensure regulatory compliance, to optimize resources and operations, and to plan for future growth, and
- maintains a network of strategic customer, partner, and vendor contacts to support the region is achieving its goals.
- Manage regional operating budgets.
- Establish key metrics to monitor the region’s performance for safety, project results, productivity, customer satisfaction, etc.
- Coordinate with corporate departments to communicate the region’s support needs and maintain alignment with corporate standards.
- Provide monthly and quarterly reports to executive leadership.
- Participate in quarterly and annual strategic planning meetings.
Project and Business Development:
- Spearhead regional initiatives that align with the company’s strategic plan and revenue and growth targets.
- Define the strategic and growth objectives for the region and develop actions to achieve these objectives.
- Develop strategic business relationships to further establish Almita as the North American leader in supply and installation of helical piles and to support Almita’s growth into a range of geostructural solutions.
- Represent Almita in industry associations and events.
- Review and approve bid strategies, execution plans, risk management, and bid pricing.
- Support the development and growth of new services, new foundation technologies and markets within the region.
Project and Operations Management:
- Balance revenue growth with project costs and expenses to achieve margins as measured against annual business plans, forecasts, and general metrics in the industry.
- Understand and promote the benefits of a strong safety program and drive best practices with the goal of continuously reducing accidents, near misses, and lost time incidents aligned with our foundational core value.
- Coordinate with equipment department to ensure fleet (rolling stock and yellow iron), maintenance, and NSC Transportation compliance are suitable for the region’s needs.
- Develop knowledge and capability across deep foundation technologies (e.g. helical, driven, micro, and sheet piling; shoring) and promote the employment of new technologies and innovative construction methods.
- Formulate operations strategies to optimize resource utilization and minimize cost implications.
- Lead the region in delivering project solutions in a safe and cost-effective manner that meets or exceeds customer expectations.
- Lead the regional project development, project execution teams, and provide line management for the Pre-Construction Manager, Senior Project Managers, and Operations Manager.
- Support and coach senior-level members of the regional team to encourage Almita’s growth.
- Encourage and facilitate communication and collaboration between regional teams and other Almita departments.
- Mentor and build relationships with employees throughout the region and function as a role model for all staff.
- Participate in interviews, hiring and other recruitment activities for regional employees.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
The following are required:
- Post-secondary education in Engineering, Business management, Construction management, or a similar relevant discipline
- 10+ years of professional experience preferred, with a minimum of 5 years of leadership experience
- 5+ years of hands-on field construction experience, preferably in deep foundation construction
- Experience in engineering and/or construction of deep foundations (helical piles, micropiles, driven piles, concrete caissons)
- Previous Profit and Loss responsibility, with record of revenue and profit growth in construction markets
- Proven ability to develop/implement strategic growth and profit plans, based on evaluation of market conditions, competitive strengths, and weaknesses
- Senior management experience in construction project environment – bidding, contract review, planning, mobilizing, and overall leadership
- Knowledge of heavy equipment operation and maintenance principles
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
The following is considered an asset:
- Project Management Certification (PMP) is an asset